20 March 2008

On working from home


Working from home? yes I am ma'am! And many people ask me if I don't feel lonely, or if I manage to have the will power to wake up early and stay focussed. Well, I do! I can proudly say that I'm a very responsible person who (maybe out of guilt) manage to sit for +8 hours straight in front of this screen where I'm typing now.

Working for/by myself has many pluses:
- I don't talk rubbish with people I don't truly care about,
- I avoid the commuting, don't get other people viruses or
- I can have the temperature in the room to my taste (no more jumpers in summer! no more triple layers in winter!).


I sound like a "grumpy old cow" but no, I know I'm talking for many of you. I've improved my social life, I put more effort into it and have better quality time with my friends!

My workspace is decorated to my taste - YES I can have whatever momentums and personal items I want, thank you (I hate corporations).


Pluses also are that I have plenty of natural light and this brings me to the little anecdote I wanted to write about today: cheeky squirrels. Well, I was opening the curtains a couple of mornings ago and I saw this cheeky squirrel working through our rubbish. [note: it isn't actually MY rubbish but my neighbour’s, which actually is pissing me off cause they cannot be bothered to put it all inside the bins, below and hidden]. Anyway, to the point, so, I decided to take some pics cause it was all quite cute/funny. And then, feeling sorry, I gave her a bit of the yummy quiche leftovers from our craft sessions. That was even funnier, when she wasn't sure if I was trustable or not to come and approach me.. anyway - fun little break-times that can only happen when you work from home.

(click for a bigger view)

On the negative side of working from home is that the kitchen is right there! Few steps and is a heaven of food (and not-so-good treats too). So, as I stopped commuting, that means I walk a 5th of what I'd do in my office days and I am eating more. Consequences? you guessed it: bigger bottom!! So, I've decided to cut down on nasty treats (only buying dark chocolate now) and cooking healthy stuff. My mum would be so proud :-) I made a super healthy and yummy Japanese style lunch yesterday (cucumber & wakame salad with furikake + super food Kale and beans with rice and another type of seaweed paste). Pics don't make justice for taste!


oh! Another plus of working from home? I can have flowers around me all day long! (and.. not so glamurous but extremely practical.. I can do my washing whilst I work! no more late nights waiting for the washing machine to finish!!)


1 comment:

maya said...

A pity I cannot work from home,but libraries are not portables, at least not yet. I would better start thinking about changing that.
;)